History & Origin:
Like Sharon, Temple was originally known as Peterborough Slip when first granted in 1750. Temple was incorporated in 1768 in honor of John Temple, lieutenant governor under John Wentworth. Temple was son-in-law to James Bowdoin, for whom Bowdoin College is named. Temple was home to the Temple Glass Works, founded in 1780. The short life of the business makes Temple glass rare and sought after today. The Temple Town Band is the oldest organized town band in the United States. It’s first recorded performance was in 1800 for George Washington.
Population, Year of the First Census Taken: 747 residents in 1790